Foodies rejoice this August as the first ever Sandakan Food Festival will be held over 8 days from 26th August 2017 to 2nd September at Bandar Kim Fung, at the open carpark next to Yu Yuan school. We travel extensively to Sandakan over the past few years to discover the many wonderful foods at Sandakan and excited to know that there will be a festival at Sandakan that will unite all the wonderful goodness at Sandakan.
The Sandakan Food Festival themed Oceans, Land and Forests, will serve a culinary selection that is uniquely Sandakan, and Sabahan.; gathering traditions from Chinese, Malay, Kadazan-Dusun, and more ethnic styles of cooking.
Festival Village and highlights
Zone 1: Restaurants & Full-service properties
Zone 2: Small eateries & coffee shops, pastries, desserts and drink zone
Zone 3: Food stalls and food carts
Zone 4: Fresh and processed food producer
Highlights of Sandakan Food Festival
- Sandakan Food race in collaboration with SabahEats
- Sandakan Top Seafood Chef competition
- Food Eating competitions
- Lucky draw from sponsors and supporters
- Food Demo
- The invitation of International Food writers and experts to sample what SFF has to offer.
Sandakan Food Race
We are very excited that we will be organizing the very first Sandakan Food Race. The Sandakan Food race will be one of the many highlights of Sandakan Food Festival 2017. More information will be updated once we finalized the details.
To complement the SFF of all things tasty and to make the 8 days an unforgettable experience of Sandakan for both locals and visiting guests, the organizers will be pulling together a wider group of activities to bolster the colorful atmosphere of the festival
a) Cultural performances
b) Sandakan Fishing competition: pro and amateur levels. With a finale at the Sandakan Yacht Club for a big cook up.
c) Day trips to Berhala island for hikes, water sports and rock climbing, coupled with beach-side BBQs of seafood and meats.
d) Live music performances
e) Guided rainforest hikes to forage for forest produce.
Getting around Sandakan
GRABcar is now available at Sandakan providing convenience method of getting transportation to get around Sandakan
– Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan is located and the center of Sandakan town.
– Nak Hotel is located at Sandakan town center. The Balin Rooftop and Sandagen Kopitiam is located in the same building providing a place to chill out and dining at town center
Eating out at Sandakan
Foods at Sandakan is cheap and delicious.
Check out our extensive write-up about Sandakan foods at Sandakan Food Trail – Foods you must try when in Sandakan
Seafood Restaurants at Sandakan https://www.sabaheats.com/sandakan-seafood-paradise/
Sandakan Food festival is organized by Sandakan Tourism Association (STAN) with the support of Sandakan Good Food Club (comprising of a mixed bunch of Sandakan food enthusiasts) as a community-driven, not-for-profit effort to promote the town of Sandakan. Also involved are Kementerian Pelancongan, Kebudayan dan Alam Sekitar, Sabah Tourism Board, Majlis Perbandaran Sandakan, and community leaders of Sandakan.
The core objectives of SFF are:
1. To bring together culinary stakeholders from all sectors together for a collective showcase event.
2. To use the festival platform to invite and introduce our varied cuisines to an international audience & media in attendance.
3. To encourage the local communities to rediscover their food heritage and to develop pride in its diversity.
4. To take the opportunity to catalog the breadth of food & produce choices available in Sabah, in a comprehensive manner.