Thai basil chicken, is a contender for the most popular and most preferred Thai Food. It’s the main dish that many Thais choose to eat when they don’t know what to order – the reason being it’s simple, always available at street food stalls and restaurants alike, and tastes amazing.
You can order pad kra pao with pork, squid, shrimp, or even tofu. However, feel free to substitute chicken with whatever meat you want.
The tricks to this popular dish is fresh thai basil leaves. It is not easy to get thai basil leaves in Kota Kinabalu but you may occasionally find them at Pick N Pay outlets or you can find Thai basil plant at sunday Gaya Street market
1 Tbs vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic minced
1-5 Chili Padi minced with seeds
1/2 lbs ground chicken thigh/breast meat
fish sauce to taste
Dark sauce to taste
soy sauce to taste
1 tsp sugar
15-20 Basil leaves (take stems out)
- Add the oil to a pan on a high heat.
- Wait until the oil has heated up, then add the chilli’s & garlic to the pan.
- When garlic starts to turn brown, drop the chicken in. Stir constantly
- When the chicken is nearly done, add the fish sauce, soy sauce, dark sauce, oyster sauce & a pinch of sugar. Stir for 2 mins.
- Add 2 tablespoon of water. Wait till the water boil again
- Grab a handful of thai basil, toss it into the pan, fold it into the chicken, and then immediately turn off the heat ( the thai basil leaves only needs to cook for about 5 seconds)
- Serve the basil chicken with rice and an egg on top.
Latest posts by Joanne Lee (see all)
- Kota Kinabalu Chinese New Year Dining and Yee Sang - January 8, 2020
- Rooftop Bar in Kota Kinabalu with cool views and great drinks - January 7, 2020
- 8 bakers/ cafes in Sibu you must visit to enjoy Anchor Dairy Brand products - December 25, 2019