Kaya is made of eggs, coconut milk, sugar and pandan leaves. Haha is one my jam and I love the original taste of Kaya. Finding an original Kaya is hard nowadays as most of the kaya is made from essence with preservatives.
Making Kaya is not hard, but you need to be patient and cook it slowly.
The main ingredients are:
- freshly grated coconut
- 6 eggs and 8 yolks
- 500 Milliliters Thick Coconut milk
- 360 grams caster sugar
- 6 pandan leaves
- 2 tablespoon of Gula Melaka (for caramelisation)
- 1 tablespoon water (for caramelisation)
For authentic taste, use Gula Melaka. Else you can substitute with brown sugar
I use charcoal clay stove as it is easier to manage the heat over a long period of time. You can use gas stove
2. add water to the freshly grated coconut and gently squeeze it to get the coconut milk. Strain the mixture.
3. Whisk 3 eggs and 4 yolks in a heatproof mixing bowl until well combined. Gradually add sugar while whisking until it starts to dissolves
4. Gradually add the coconut milk into the egg mixture. Whisk until sugar dissolves completely.
5. Set up a double boiler on your stove top. Note: I use a pot and place the mixing bowl on top of it.
6. Place the pandan leaves into the mixture. peel the leaves into smaller strands and tie a knot/bow.
7. The mixture will get sticky and thick. Continue stirring for the next 40 minutes with a spatula until the mixture turns into brown colour
8. As the mixture starts to turn thick, you should remove the leaves before it gets too difficult to lift them out.
9. After about 40 minutes, Add 1 tbsp of water into the saucepan & gula melaka into a small saucepan, wait until the gula melaka dissolved. cook it until it caramelised.
10. add the caramelised sugar into the kaya mixture. Stir well.
11. Stir for 10-15mins, the mixture should give you a golden brown colour smooth textured jam. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for an hour.
12. Wait until it cools down and fill it into jar.
13. The Kaya is ready! made with love using fresh and original ingredients. Spread butter & kaya on the toast and enjoy!
Latest posts by Joanne Lee (see all)
- Huat It Up with foodpanda - January 20, 2020
- Kota Kinabalu Chinese New Year Dining and Yee Sang - January 8, 2020
- Rooftop Bar in Kota Kinabalu with cool views and great drinks - January 7, 2020